Unable to staccato tongue.

Discussions specific to all Berglund Instruments.
wshNPC

Unable to staccato tongue.

Post by wshNPC »

I am having difficulty with staccato tonguing. I can only get it to legato as I am touching keys.
Last edited by wshNPC on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
windsynthhelp
Site Admin

Re: Unable to staccato tongue.

Post by windsynthhelp »

There is a technique (some users find a little tricky at first) but when you get used to it, it enables you to control a NuRAD or NuEVI with maximum nuance. It is common for first time users to have an initial instinct to blow air into the mouthpiece with tightly sealed lips. For best results, you should loosen your lips somewhat so that air is passing along the side of the mouthpiece along with the air passing into the mouthpiece. It is somewhat of a delicate balance.

If you take the time to carefully adjust the breath sensitivity (in the menu settings) you can get to where there is very little strain on the diaphragm. This way, the full range of expression can be controlled (with said minimal diaphragm strain). Many users find this to be the most comfortably and expressively optimized method.

It is important for you to take the time (in the adjust menu) to carefully dial it into your own preference. The settings offer a very wide range of preference. (some users like to require more pressure than others). Once this is optimized for you, (and while using the above described technique with air blowing), you should be able to perform staccato notes with super expressive control.
windsynthhelp
Site Admin

Re: Unable to staccato tongue.

Post by windsynthhelp »

Curt Sipe has done a really good video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGPrT_tZII